What is TOEFL?
The Test of English as a Foreign Language (or TOEFL, pronounced "toe-full") evaluates the potential success of an individual to use and understand standard American English at a college level. It is required for non-native applicants at many US and other English-speaking colleges and universities. The TOEFL is the product of the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is contracted by the private, non-profit firm, the College Board to administer the test in institutions in the US; they also produce the SAT.
Types of TOEFL
The TOEFL® test is offered in two formats: the TOEFL iBT® test, administered via the Internet, or the TOEFL® PBT test, administered in a paper-based format. The format you take depends on the location of your test center.
- The TOEFL iBT test is offered more than 50 times a year at more than 4,500 authorized test centers throughout the world. Most test takers take the test via the Internet.
- The TOEFL PBT test is being phased out. It is currently offered only in areas where testing via the Internet is not available.
Who Accepts TOEFL Test Scores?
More than 8,500 colleges, agencies and other institutions in over 130 countries accept TOEFL® scores. It is especially designed for USA and Canada. Other organizations rely on TOEFL scores as well:
- Immigration departments use them to issue residential and work visas
- Medical and licensing agencies use them for professional certification purposes
- Individuals use them to measure their progress in learning English
TOEFL® Score Scales
|Reading||0-30||High (22–30), Intermediate (15–21), Low (0–14)|
|Listening||0–30||High (22–30), Intermediate (15–21), Low (0–14)|
|Speaking||0–30||Good (26–30), air (18–25), Limited (10–17), Weak (0–9)|
|Writing||0–30||Good (24–30), Fair (17–23), Limited (1–16)|
The Reading and Listening sections are scored by computer with a score range from 0 to 30. The Reading section has 36–56 tasks based on reading passages from academic texts and answering questions. The Listening section has 34–51 tasks based on listening to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answering questions.
Paramount conducts TOEFL iBT test preparation class of 60 hours.